The Ontario Genomics Institute (OGI) is a non-profit organization dedicated to improving and advancing gene related research and technology in Canada and ultimately its impact on a global scale. OGI works with academic institutions as well as industry in an effort to bring Canadian genomics research to its foremost. They offer funding for research, education and commercialization. They also have outreach programs such as summer research fellowships, teaching awards, genomics equipment grants, and OGI student networks.
Monthly Archives: December 2011
With the wide spread and easy access of the internet, employers can now learn unprecedented information about employees, applicants and potential candidates. In a recent article posted on Open Forum, the author suggests ten simple and easy ways to manage your online profile. They are summarized below. The full article can be found here.
- Set up alerts to receive email notifications every time your name appears in new online content. See Google Alerts.
- Search yourself online.
- Ask a friend to search you online.
- Ask others to modify content about you on their websites.
- Be critical, careful and thoughtful of the content you put online.
- Every so often review your personal websites, blogs, Facebook account, Linkedin profile, etc. and remove or amend any information you feel is inappropriate and/or outdated.
- Create new, positive and current content about yourself on sites you personally manage.
- Link positive content amongst your personally managed sites, profiles and blogs.
- Ensure you own your own name on common sites such as Twitter.
- Update your privacy settings.
ResearchGate is an online network that allows researchers from around the world in any discipline to share their work, knowledge and ideas. The network includes the option of following other researchers, accessing publications, finding collaborators and sharing information about conferences or employment opportunities. There are already over one million profiles in ResearchGate from medicine, design, engineering, mathematics, linguistics, literature, economics, chemistry, computer science and many more fields. It is free to enjoy and your profile can be as public or private as you wish.